sitemeter

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Was this the real goal of "The Global War on Terror?"

Tomgram: Andrew Bacevich, Playing Ball With the Pentagon

"Posted by Andrew Bacevich at 8:45am, July 28, 2011.
Post-9/11, doesn’t it seem as though all American experience is blending into a single experience whose label is “your safety”? Which means, in practical terms, you get poked, prodded, searched, and surveilled wherever you go.

The other day, I went to the ballpark to see my team, the Mets, play the Florida Marlins. It’s always a shock these days to make your way into the team’s new stadium, Citi Field (named, charmingly enough, after one of the financial institutions that took us down in 2008 and somehow came up smelling like roses). No more is it just tickets at the turnstile. What’s involved now is that peek into your backpack or bag, followed by the full-scale search of you, body wand and all.

I always have the urge to shout: I’m here for a ballgame, not the Global War on Terror! Instead, of course, I just lift my arms and let myself be wanded. It’s like an eternal reminder that, for Americans, 9/11 did change everything -- and for the more intrusive at that. Once inside, past all the restaurants and clubs, memorabilia shops and sports-clothing stores that now add up to the baseball (basemall?) experience, it turns out you haven’t left America’s wars behind...."

A security state run by goons?

15 Years in Prison For Taping the Cops? How Eavesdropping Laws Are Taking Away Our Best Defense Against Police Brutality
July 27, 2011 Rania Khalek -- AlterNet

So, I kind of got hooked on Dexter a couple of years ago when you could still stream the first two seasons on Netflix. Just recently I watched the 5th season, and as soon as I read the preceding paragraphs, the theme song started up in my head.


Sounds random? Nope, as soon as I got hooked on Dexter I wondered if Dexter would ever get to the real serial killers on this planet? Can you guess who entered my mind as I wondered that? I mean come on, it's obvious to me that the GWOT is the not the tip of the spear wielded by the banksters but it is the well muscled goon chucking the damn thing, and the goon is ordered fed by the banksters, but the taxpayers foot the bill.



Share

No comments:

Post a Comment