sitemeter

Monday, March 15, 2010

Gah, hollyweird

I'm watching The King . I found myself irritated with some of the details. I'm trying to figure out why the filmmakers chose to focus on the rifle. Dude got out of the Navy. I've been here in this Navy town all my life and never met anybody who developed such an important relationship with his rifle and got out and kept his rifle. Especially if they got a dishonorable discharge, which is a given for this particular character. I'm irritated with the way Gael pronounced Chula Vista. I lived there, my kid was born there, & I've lived around squids my whole life. Even Hispanic squids pronounce it 'Chew-lah 'Vih-stah, not the Spanish pronunciation 'Shoe-lah 'Vees-tah. I've also never seen anybody tattoo their ship on themselves. "Tribal" silliness, gang signs, girl's names, all kinds of crap, but a ship? Puhleeeeeeeeeze! Captive on a fucking tin can for 6 and sometimes up to 9 months and they're going to put a picture of their cage on their body forever? What nonsense. To listen to the commentary is difficult enough for me because I find it annoying when the writers congratulate themselves on how fucking brilliant ("genius") they are. Their obvious disdain for ordinary people gets on my last nerve.

If the point of this movie is to horrify, disgust and paint a picture of a truly reprehensible character then the movie is a success. Gael García Bernal can play some really creepy parts, and William Hurt can do anything you put in front of him, but come on, this would have the movie walked out on, or the DVD pulled out of the player in a LOT of homes. If not for the actors' and actresses' performances this piece of shit wouldn't be worth a fiddler's fart. I just hope that I don't ever come face to face that whoever wrote this sick piece of crap.

Shit, I missed Chuck watching this thing? Oy. Chuck is way over the top, but it doesn't take itself seriously.

ps, I wonder how many residents of that cutthroat, hamburger grinder-like county of LA are aware of how close to death they are on a weekly basis? I know I'm aware of it now, but it's not something my stupid parents chose to inform me of.

No comments:

Post a Comment