sitemeter

Monday, February 23, 2009

Waiter Rant



I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was funny, sweet, enlightening, and interesting. I've been reading the author's blog for about three years. I'm sure I'm not the only female reader who developed a little crush on "The Waiter." I understand his curiosity about what makes people tick. My friends laugh when I imagine aloud what conversations may have been going on around us, or perhaps in a another car. It's a customer service thing, you learn to appreciate the 80% of people who are really nice people, and you mercilessly make fun of the rest or you're dead in the water. Without a sense of humor, dealing with the public is impossible.

I've never waited tables, but I grew up in a suburb full of pretentious assholes so I know what he's talking about. You're surprised that I never waited tables? Uh, no, I didn't think so.


I did work foodservice for years. I used to get in trouble for working too slow. I wasn't working slow, I was making sure that the area that I worked in was CLEAN, which takes time. When the person that had my job before me didn't give a shit that made the first few days on a new job really hard for me and I'm sure it seemed like I was really slow. It takes time to get years of greasy stuff off of cutting boards, and out of refrigerators, sinks, and out of porcelain drainage areas. Many times my hands peeled from using bleach and grease cutting agents.

I never put out food that I wouldn't eat, I quit places that expected me to do that.
There were times when I wondered if the managers needed a new eyeglass prescription, or if they had no sense of smell? There was one place that was so bad that I didn't even start working, I just bailed, gagging on my way out the door. In this county you have to have a foodhandlers card and the health department is supposed to check the place.

Pfffft.

I'm sure it's gotten worse since Bush and his deregulation happy shitheads took over.

No comments:

Post a Comment