sitemeter

Friday, September 29, 2006

Detainee bill

Sooooo, everybody has something to say about the bill that the Senate passed yesterdy. I tilt to the left on most issues, so here is some commentary from the left.

“A Total Rollback Of Everything This Country Has Stood For” (audio)
Sen. Patrick Leahy Blasts Congressional Approval of Detainee Bill

How did we sink so low in just 6 years?
By Mike Whitney
“This is how a nation loses its moral compass, its identity, its freedom.” Rep Jerrold Nadler (D-NY)

Habeas Corpus, R.I.P. (1215 - 2006)
By Molly Ivins


And then I go to read this thing:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:S.3930:

There are 2 versions of Bill Number S.3930 for the 109th Congress1 . Military Commissions Act of 2006 (Introduced in Senate)[S.3930.IS]2 . Military Commissions Act of 2006 (Placed on Calendar in Senate)[S.3930.PCS]
(you must search for it again, the bills # is s3930)

I can't do it.
It's huge.
I think a more important question is did the people who passed it read it?
And which bill did they pass?

My friend and I just had a discussion on US Code. We decided that it was like prescription drugs: Too many is too many and they complicate, and override, nullify other perfectly good ones, and some in the wrong combination will kill you. We decided that there are too many. They fuck each other all up.

No comments:

Post a Comment