sitemeter

Thursday, May 05, 2011

Ken Burns' 2000 PBS Jazz Documentary

I've always felt resentful of some scholar or teacher or yeah, some damn expert telling me what is good music. This series isn't helping. I like what I like, I don't give a crap what some university professor, or even another musician tells me is "magic" or "genius," marvelous," "innovative" or what-the-fuck ever. I don't like listening to jazz musicians jam frantically and I don't like this Charlie Parker, and I have a feeling that Miles Davis jamming ain't my thing either. I don't care if I don't have an appreciation of how revolutionary they were, I don't want to watch sausage being made.

So sue me.

I'll leave audience space for those who love to watch musicians in their pissing contests.

I like rollercoasters and I like music, just not at the same time. I'm watching this lengthy documentary for the history, and audio/video of some of my favorites and I am enjoying it for the most part.



Share

No comments:

Post a Comment