sitemeter

Saturday, March 19, 2011

I've been avoiding the news

But I kind of can't because my friend's son does emergency medical care in disaster areas. Well, actually he sets it up, so he's always there ASAP when disasters happen. Now he's in Japan. The Japanese are polite, maybe even too polite. They say yes when they really mean no.

I happened to get a call from my friend when I was almost finished watching "The Killing Fields" a movie from 1984 which tells the story of one of the first reporters to write about the US bombing of Cambodia. It was shortly before the movie came out that most of my buddies were Vietnamese refugees. There were Lao, Thai, Cambodian and Hmong kids there also. I never read or watched the news and I was apolitical then. I was also pretty naive, so these kids could have fed me all kinds of bs lines and I would have believed them. I wonder now what kinds of horrors they went through and wouldn't mention to me even if I asked them. My boyfriend told me about heads on sticks down by the river.

It was within a year or two of making the Asian refugee friends that I met the friend with the Dr. kid who is now in Japan trying to save lives. As much as I hate some of the stupid shit my government does, I love the American people, there are all kinds of us.

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment