sitemeter

Friday, January 02, 2009

Violent returning GI's is a surprise?

A Focus on Violence by Returning G.I.’s
By LIZETTE ALVAREZ and DAN FROSCH
Published: January 1, 2009
FORT CARSON, Colo. —


This is a surprise?

Good God, all the time I used public transportation I warily eyed vets who'd lost their damn minds. They were usually easy to spot because they wore fatigues, which are really cheap in the thrift stores here. The war never left them alone. Their country didn't help them, the military culture forbids it. Oh, no fucking way, no head case shit in the service jacket. My counselor treats PTSD. I have it. There should be no way I can get an appointment, but I do, it's easy because the guys never get treated, unless you consider "drunk" a form of "treatment." Their girlfriends and wives end up in treatment a LOT, not to mention the fucking emergency rooms, or Mary Kay parties to learn how to cover the bruises. I didn't hang around long enough to learn how to use make-up to cover bruises, the only time I ever got the living shit beat out of me by a boyfriend he was ex-Army. Demolition to be exact.

What, now that most of the homeless whacked out Vietnam Vets are dead or dying, we need a whole new crop?

*sigh*

Someday maybe what our government does will make sense, but it sure isn't there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment