sitemeter

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Worried About Thanksgiving Fights with Right-Wing Family Members?

By Sara Robinson, Blog for Our Future
Posted on November 26, 2008, Printed on November 26, 2008
http://www.alternet.org/story/108638/

Oh, Lordy. It is that time again. Thursday is Thanksgiving -- the official kickoff event of the 2008 holiday season. For a lot of progressives, these festivities also mean that we're about to spend more quality time with our conservative relatives over the next six weeks than is strictly good for our blood pressure, stress levels, or continued sanity.

Hat tip to Shea

I love the article, but I gave up on holidays with my reich-wing Republican parents about the time I turned 18, many years ago. That doessn't mean that holidays are easy for me, they generally bring back horrible memories, and I'd rather crawl in a hole around October 25th and crawl back out on January 2. My sister finally let the cat out of the bag a couple weeks ago and said, "Oh, by the way ______, you were the scapegoat." A term anyone familiar with alchoholic family dynamics should understand. Believe me, these roles ain't set in stone, they move around in most families.

Happy Turkey Day.

May it be filled with gratitude and peace instead of painful drama.

Update 3 pm. Oh goody, my daughter is coming. She had to work, so she's tired, but she's coming. :) This is soooooo mellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment