sitemeter

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

THE DEMOCRATIC END GAME: Who has the right credentials?

By Rhodes Cook April 03, 2008

I might be wrong, I haven't been graded on this assignment yet, sorry, ungraded homework is the best I can do for the moment.

This is me condensing the title linked article.

The last time the Democratic Party had a fight involving the credentials committee was during the election cycle of 1972 over the nomination of what turned out to be George McGovern. At that time the party had a new ban on the previously used "winner-take all" system that a lot of Republican primaries & caucuses still use today. The party had recently switched to proportional allocation of delegates, and the anti-McGovern forces used this to strip McGovern of his California delegates. The legal challenge over S. Carolina and California delegates turned the convention chaotic. This situation doesn't look like the same fight, but basically it is. I'm not really sure how Florida and Michigan will seat their delegates at the convention, but I think the credentials committee may be more involved with the choosing of the Democratic Party candidate for President than they have since 1972.


The Clinton-Obama battle could be decided by Michigan and Florida or by the credentials committee. I didn't know what the credentials committee was so I used Google and found this:

What Is This Thing Called the Credentials Committee?
By Greg Sargent - March 31, 2008, 4:23PM (TPM Election Central)

(update: Ok, I'm still learning here, this says "Democratic Party may not seat delegation to violation of primary scheduling rules" )

No comments:

Post a Comment