sitemeter

Thursday, May 17, 2007

movies and reading

Watched The Great Gatsby (Redford version) with a friend. I've never read the book and he said that he wanted to read it again. I rolled my eyes and said "Oh look , rich people people behaving badly and getting away with it, how original." The woman Gatsby was in love with reminded me of Paris Hilton, brainless and rich and pretty, so what? Uninteresting to other women, that's for sure . Frankly, I hated the character, and ever since Rosemary's Baby, and knowing she was married to somebody three times her age and then to Woody Allen, Mia Farrow makes my skin crawl. No, I don't want to read the book, the dialogue in the movie was ridiculous. Why torture myself twice?

Anyway, I sort of wondered out loud why I don't read much fiction any more. I'm reading Colby Buzzell's "My War, Killing Time in Iraq." I'm only about 75 pages in but so far I love it. This kid cracks me up. There's some really funny stuff in it and he's from California. I'm from the suburbs in San Diego and this town is one big military base. I get it...


What I don't get is this:
White House: 3.5 percent pay hike unnecessary

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday May 16, 2007 17:34:13 EDT

... Update: 170 pages in I have the same love-hate thing going that I've always had with military guys. Maybe that's because some of them treat the local girls like whores, even when they aren't. The military trains misogynists. Military towns train misandrists.


Update 2 3:19 PM 5/18/2007 Finished the book. Immediately heard Randi Rhodes talking about this:
VA bonus recipients sat on boards that oversaw payments By HOPE YEN
Associated Press Writer
Thursday, May 17, 2007

and this:

Troop Pay Raise That Bush May Veto Amounts To $6/Month To Average Soldier In Iraq

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment