sitemeter

Saturday, December 09, 2006

37 million poor hidden in the land of plenty

...Under President George W Bush an extra 5.4 million have slipped below the poverty line. Yet they are not a story of the unemployed or the destitute. Most have jobs. Many have two...
... The richest town in America is Rancho Santa Fe in California. Average incomes are more than $100,000 a year; the average house price is $1.7m.



Yep, I bought into the work hard and you will succeed around fifteen years ago. It almost killed me. I worked two jobs, 7 days a week 56-72 hours a week, graveyard shift every night, no benefits, no holiday pay, no time-and-a half. Neither job was minimum wage, and I still couldn't afford my own apartment, and I wasn't supporting my child at that time, her father was. I lived less than 20 minutes from Rancho Santa Fe and I never drove there in my piece of crap car because I didn't want to attract attention from the police. I'm not now, nor have I ever been a lawbreaker. My boss never changed my withholding when I asked him to, so I paid over five-hundred in State tax at the end of the year. It lasted a little over a year & I got laid off, and the company moved to a State that paid less per hour, and a few years later I found out that the company now uses workers in India. Anybody wonder why I want to give a big fat middle finger to Corporate America and their skanky lobbyists? I'd like to give another big fat middle finger to the Corporate whores in Congress.


Vote every day for the Weblog Awards 2006 . Just because the liberals are kicking ass where they actually got nominated is no excuse not to vote every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment