sitemeter

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Hate the news? Here's why.

Bombing is backed by most American voters
From Tom Baldwin in Washington 08/04/06 "The Times"

-- -- ISRAEL’s military campaign in southern Lebanon is still being backed by most American voters, according to a survey published yesterday that shows public opinion in the US once again sharply at odds with views in Europe. The Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll found that 59 per cent believed that Israel’s actions were “justified”, although a quarter of this group stated that the military had behaved in an “excessively harsh” fashion.

After watching Orville Shell online last night, I understand, but I'm still saddened. Try to tell people from other countries why Americans are so ignorant of current events in the Middle East and they won't believe you unless they have lived in the US sometime within the last ten years. Try to tell an American nursed on Faux newz, or Entertainment Tonight, or any of the major network newz soundbites that they are ignorant (meaning uninformed) and they will tell you "I don't want to know," "It's too depressing, " or "I don't care, " or most commonly, "I don't have time for that." Ask them why they don't seek out news sources on the internet and they will say "I work on a computer all day, I don't want to touch a computer when I'm not stuck working at one." These are answers I have received when I have asked people why they don't know what I know. These are all understandable reasons to me. If you just don't want to deal with the news, the following interview might help you figure out why it's such a turn off, you're NOT crazy, Ok?

The Brancaccio/Schell interview is worth 24 minutes of your time, come on, it's Saturday, g'head, g'head'----

Orville Schell on a Responsible Press
8.4.06

No comments:

Post a Comment