sitemeter

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Ahhhhhh, a shower!

It's still smoky, but there's no escape from that anywhere in San Diego County, so bear with me, I'm a bit zooey. My folks house almost burnt down and they ain't out of the woods yet.

Wow.

San Diegans are REALLY GENEROUS. They had to turn people around and send them to other shelters if they wanted to give donations.

We (well, me anyway, my husband and kid kept rolling their eyes at me, eve though we were supposed to evacuate) freaked out and bounced down to Qualcomm stadium. Despite camping out in a parking lot, I felt safer until I saw military uniforms with big, obvious guns. No shit, the skanky tweakers trying to scam free stuff, & probably rip off the evacuees (you know, the ones that avoid the food lines) didn't scare me like the guns did. There were so many people driving around trying to help it was a bit overwhelming. I've never had to say "No thank you, we're fine, (we don't need popsicles ice cream water water water cheeze doodles cookies doughnuts sunscreen t-shirts) but thank you so much" so many times in my life. Someone handed us a ten pound bag of ice, and doofy me forgot the ice chest. There were so many donations I thought I would send my husband to see if somebody donated some of those $1.99 styrofoam ice chests. Guess what? He and this Red Cross volunteer get stopped dead in their tracks by some secret service looking guy. I guess the evacuee and the Red Cross Lady had the temerity to get too close to Chertoff's photo op.

I was like, Oh Shit FEMA's here, time to go home.

11:15 AM 10/24/2007 Ok, it wasn't Chertoff, it was Arnie who's secret service guys stopped my husband.
4:14 PM 10/24/2007 yeah, my husband is a dope, Chertoff was there, but it may have been Arnie's bodyguards who told my husband to stay put for a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment