sitemeter

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Django Unchained

So my friend and my husband saw Lincoln, and I decided to see Django Unchained. They were blown away and I saw a bunch of people get blown away. I wish I had seen Lincoln with them, I've had appreciation for Daniel Day Lewis since My Left Foot. Although I appreciate why this movie had to go over the top with violence because slavery was a nasty, ugly business that this country is just starting to recover from, it's still Quentin Tarantino's peculiar brand of gratuitous violence that frankly, bores me. As do gunfights, car chases, martial arts fights and other typical "guy stuff."

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, girlfriend.

    You just helped me make my choice!

    Love ya,

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweetie pie,

    I haven't seen Django Unchained, and from your description I don't see myself ever wanting too. On the other hand I've heard Django Reinhardt playing jazz guitar, and that's gorgeous stuff.

    Yeah, I've seen a few fils by Tarantino. No doubt that dude is talented as a film director, with in particular very unique ideas, but like you, I really don't have the stomach for gratuitous violence and horror.

    I mean, at the limit, I can accept some of that if we're talking about a film describing REAL historical events. Even if not for enjoyment, at least from the point of view of learning something about our planet's dark history and hopefully never repeat the same horrors again.

    But outside that frame work, I just don't see the merits of hard core violence as a source of entertainment. Fuck, I have better things to do in life than getting depressed and suicidal by watching to what degree of fuckness humans can get up to. Mmmmm.... something doesn't sound right in the grammatical construction of this last sentence, but fuck it, it's 9am, so I'm still asleep, lol.

    Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. not depressing, just not my thing

      Delete