sitemeter

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Paradise Plundered and Under the Perfect Sun


Paradise Plundered, Fiscal Crisis and Governance Failures in San Diego by Steven P. Erie, Vladimir Kogan and Scott A. Makenzie.

I've only read a few pages, but I'll write a bit about it when I finish it. My favorite quote so far?

"Therein lies the paradox at the heart of San Diego's storied past and troubled current circumstances: the city and region were built and sustained by big government."

So, I'm a little baffled as to why Grover Norquist and other anti-tax crusaders have such a big fan base in this area. Well, I guess being that Republicans are mostly non self-aware, stupid hypocrites and this area is loaded with them it shouldn't be a surprise to me.

Almost 3 years ago I did a post on San Diego politics that started out by saying

"By the time I was 25 years old I was truly frightened of politics in San Diego

Wth good reason..."


And went on to recommend a book titled Under the Perfect Sun by Mike Davis, Kelly Mahew and Jim Miller. I thought I wrote about this book before, but I can't find the post. If you are not a rich, arrogant Republican and you are considering re-locating to San Diego, do yourself a favor and read it before you make that decision. I was born here and have lived most of my life here and found myself nodding in agreement when I wasn't feeling amazed at how little I knew about the true history of this county.



Ironically, I'm not much of a country music fan, but I love this song.
Just Another Day in Paradise-Phil Vassar

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment