sitemeter

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Cost of SLAPPing Down Journalism

Alan Rusbridger, who edits the British Guardian, thinks fear of libel lawsuits from big corporations may have contributed to journalists' failure to adequately report on the dangerous economic decisions that led to the recent implosion of the global financial system. In an article for the New York Review of Books, he recounts his own paper's "most recent serious brush with the British defamation laws" earlier this year when it was sued for libel by Tesco, one of the largest public companies in Britain and the fourth-largest retailer in the world.

Hmmmm. It's nice that someone is on the ball with this and reporting this. I wish it didn't feel so eh feh, ho hum, they dragged us into a war didn't they? Why should we believe anything (including the sale price advertisements) that we read in the papers anymore?

Frankly, the only reason the four major papers are on my blogroll is that the Prof wanted us to read them regularly in a class I took a sememster ago. Unless I go back and re-do the blogger blogroll, I can't get anything off of my blogroll. I can add, but not subtract. Blogrolling is still screwed up from the Islamist dickhead who hacked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment