sitemeter

Monday, March 17, 2008

The movie "Bordertown" gave me nightmares

My friend was visiting El Paso recently and she called me and said "Well, I can see Juarez from here, but I can't go there, it's too dangerous." There was sad resignation in her voice. She and I and our friends used to go to Tijuana occasionally to eat or shop, and when we were younger, occasionally to dance and drink. I still use a blanket that was made and purchased in Mexico that is probably 25 years old. The last time I went to Tijuana was some time after September 11 and another friend and I were appalled that they kept pushing us to buy tequila shots for our 13-year-old daughters on the famous (or infamous) Avenida Revolución. It was a week day and around lunch time, so we made sure we got our butts back across the border way before dark. Later I thought to myself, "Hey guys, way to send responsible tourists packing, never to return." We bought blankets that were labeled "Hecho en Corea" that day.

The news reports mention around 400 raped and murdered women in Juarez. The movie mentions that there may be as many as 5,000 missing women in Mexico. I don't know about you, but that number makes me wonder just what the fuck is going on in our border towns? And who all might be involved, eh? Sometimes Hollywood tries to bring attention to real problems and sometimes it even goes as far as throwing out there creative solutions to real problems.

But anyway, all you kids who think that just handing over a couple of bucks when you fuck up, or you get fucked up in Mexico on Spring Break? You might end up in more trouble than you think, and don't be surprised if the problems you create in Mexico follow you home. Yeah, everybody's looking for the mordida .




To Work and Die in Juarez

Mass grave unearthed in midst of Mexico's drug war
By Marla Dickerson and Richard Marosi, Los Angeles Times Staff Writers
March 15, 2008
MEXICO CITY -- Authorities in Ciudad Juarez said Friday that they had uncovered the remains of 33 people buried in the yard of an abandoned property, a mass grave believed to be linked to the city's violent drug trade.

Bodies of 5 Minors Found Executed Outside of Tijuana
Last Update: 3/04 11:57 pm
Murder Victims Found

No comments:

Post a Comment